Friday, October 15, 2010

Mmm, mmm, good pasta. And it's gluten free!!

I'm new at this whole Gluten free cooking thing, and honestly I don't know how much I will do to 'replace' wheat, vs just avoiding it. Currently I am just limiting wheat to a few times a week, rather than finding ways to replace it all together. However pasta is my weakness, so I need a way to fit that in without it being my two wheat servings for the week. So I decided to try a rice pasta to see how it would go over. I was home making dinner for the kids and I, so quick and easy was a must, and it had to pass Tash's picky factor. Perfect time to make pasta, both the kids love it, now here's hoping the Rice Pasta stands up to the test.
Verdict?
It was Fantastic! Seconds all around!



1 package Rice Rigatoni (or Rigatoni of your choice) cooked according to package instructions, drained and tossed with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.

1 onion chopped
1 pint criminni mushrooms (add with onion or zukes, depending on how done you like your mushrooms)
3 zucchini chopped
3 cloves of Garlic crushed or chopped finely.
1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
 1/3 cup chopped basil
Salt and pepper to taste, (about a 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to my taste)



Saute onion and mushrooms  for about 5 minutes in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, add garlic and cook another minute, add zukes and salt and pepper,saute until slightly tender and beginning to brown. Add  tomatoes and gently saute another 4-5 minutes. Toss another 2 tablespoons of olive oil and basil, cook 1 more minute and toss with drained pasta.

We had it just like this topped with a bit of fresh basil and chopped garlic, but topped with a little fresh grated Parmesan would probably be just the thing.
The rice pasta was surprisingly aldelante not gummy, or bland, it lent a slightly nutty flavor to the fresh vegetables. This is a great quick one dish meal for summer, I plan to keep in in my quick draw weeknight meals.
Served it up with a glass of Pacific Rim Dry Riesling, and warm poached pears. Sooo yummy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

©2009Cherry Pi | by TNB